Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mental Pictures

I just recently started watching The Office. On this weeks episode a couple was getting married (like I said, I just started watching so I don't know the characters names) and the bride-to-be was talking about how her mother had told her that weddings go buy so fast that you need to be sure to take mental pictures so you remember the highlights.  So all throughout the episode the bride and groom would pull out their imaginary camera and take a mental pic when something special happened.  That is how I feel about my life.  It's going by so fast that I need to remember to take mental pictures of the highlights.

One such highlight was last nights wagon ride with my kids.  What started out as me pulling my kids around the neighborhood in their wagon turned into me walking the dog while Mason (2 1/2) pulled his sister (8 mos) on her first wagon ride.  He was so sweet with her.  He double checked her to make sure she was strapped in tight. He handed her a toy and her drink cup so she could enjoy the ride in style. He walked slowly and carefully so that he didn't jar her too much.  And he walked. He walked and pulled his kid sister for an entire mile on her very first wagon ride.  Every once in a while he would turn around and ask "You ok sissy, you ok?" to which I would respond to him "She's ok Mason.  McKinley is enjoying you pull her in the wagon."  He would smile and say "Me too momma!" McKinley meanwhile just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. She played with my keys, squeeled at lizards and made a lion type roar any time we go over a bump.  As I walked behind the wagon with Maddy (our Corgi) in tow I couldn't help but smile and laugh to myself.  What a precious moment for a mom to see her kids enjoying one another!

In that moment I was thankful that I wasn't too busy cleaning the kitchen or straightening up the house or working on the budget to to take them for a walk.  I am thankful for those precious moments that remind me how blessed I am to have these beautiful children. I am also reminded that time is passing by too quickly and I need to enjoy my family each and every moment and always be sure to stop and take my mental picture to remember the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment